Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's outside?

As you may be aware from my blog Shall We Meander On, I love libraries and birthdays. Recently while visiting a local library, I lucked upon an art/art history print file collection being "de-accessioned" as part of their future move into the digital realm.  I was delighted in my find, hurried to box up the files and now, plan to share my discoveries in this blog.  It should be fun.

I have a special love for Impressionism and that particular time period of change. Thinking of my mother, en plein air, she was/is always telling me to go outside in the open air.  It is a real punishment for her to be indoors away from nature.  

On that note, today we celebrate Berthe Morisot (January 14, 1841 - March 2, 1895), a French impressionist painter and print maker.  She was the first woman to join the circle of the French impressionist painters and is considered one of the most important women painters of the 19th century. Happy Birthday!

If you are in New York City January 17th, 2009, the Metropolitan Museum of Art has scheduled a Gallery Talk at 11 am entitled, Women Artists and Their Mentors: Berthe Morisot and Mary Cassatt, and Édouard Manet and Edgar Degas. It is free with museum admission.  

Enjoy her paintings online at Artilim.

No comments:

Post a Comment