Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Art makes us human . . .

The Rape of Europa (1562) is an oil painting by Tiziano Vecelli or Tiziano Vecellio, (born 1473/1490 - died August 27, 1576) better known as Titian, which was admired and copied by Peter Paul Rubens (June 28, 1577 – May 30, 1640).

Rape of Europa (Titian)


Rape of Europa (Rubens)

It is also the title of an award winning documentary film of the theft of approximately one-fifth of all the known significant works of art in Europe during World War II.

I finally had the opportunity to see the film The Rape of Europa.  It was shown at the Avon Theater, here in Stamford, CT (USA) to a full house.  After seeing the film, I cannot find the words to express my experience - it is a rather haunting and disturbing feeling that lingers round my heart. 

I guess like most, I wonder what would have happened if Hitler had been accepted at the Art School instead of rejected. I seriously question should soldiers' lives be risked to save historic sites and artwork.  I am in awe at the great lengths that people took to preserve and protect the art works of Europe. I learned about the phenomenal Rose Valland and realize the importance of the art registry. I now, wonder if a culture can survive if its art is wiped out.

The one idea that struck my mind and heart is "Art makes us human", so let's study art.

Tizian image source (1)
Rubens image source (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment